In this, you have a single insurance policy that takes care of the hospitalization expenses of your entire family in a fixed sum assured. Family health plan normally covers you and your spouse along with up to 4 children. But some insurance companies allow you to include your parents in your existing health insurance policy.
A health card is a card that comes along with the Health Policy. it’s just liked an identity card. This card would entitle you to avail cashless hospitalization facility at any of our network hospitals. A health card mentions the contact details and also the contact numbers of the TPA. just in case of a medical emergency, you’ll call on these numbers for queries, clarifications and for seeking any kind of assistance. Moreover, you need to show your health card at the time of admission to the hospital. In family floater health insurance, each family member has their own health card.
Things are mentioned in the health card :
- Customer ID
- Policy No
- Date of Birth
- Valid From
- Agent Code
While choosing a family health insurance policy there are a few things which you should check before buying:
- Number of family members to be covered
- Basic coverage under a family health plan
- Claim Settlement Ratio of the company
- Premium they are offering
- Ask for the maximum renewal age
- Ask for the sub-limits or co-pay applicable
- Check for the list of network hospitals
- Flexibility to increase the sum assured of a family floater health plan
- Get hassle-free claim settlement
- Avail seamless cashless hospitalization
- Claim raised within the 30 days period of the health insurance policy (except accidental case).
- Any sexually transmitted diseases.
- Any treatment related to fertility issues.
- Any treatment and expenses incurred due to routine medical check-ups.
- Any treatment/surgery is done for gender reassignments or for gender change.
- Any treatment is undertaken abroad.
In-patient Hospitalization: Medical expenses are covered at the time of hospitalization. Suppose one family member is hospitalized for more than 24 hours, the insurance company will pay the cost of hospital bills up to your sum insured.
Pre-hospitalization Expenses: It means the amount used before hospitalization are named as pre-hospitalization expenses. For example, X-ray, MRI, blood test, urine tests, OPD, etc. are covered.
Post-hospitalization Expenses: It means medical expenses suffered after discharge from the hospital. For example, medicines or any medical tests that are done after the discharge to check the improvement of a patient are covered in this policy.
Restore Benefit: This feature helps to restore the basic plan cover (sum insured) in case the coverage gets exhausted.
Daycare treatment: Daycare treatments mean treatments that do not require 24 hours of hospitalization.
Ambulance Charges: In family, health insurance policy companies offer ambulance charges in case of emergency. The cost of the emergency ambulance charges is including in your policy.
Hospital Cash: Hospital cash provides a lump sum amount from the insurance company in case of hospitalization.
Children are covered in family footer health insurance. Your child will be covered with his / her parent’s health insurance plan as a dependent child.
- Family health insurance providers cover all medical expenses at the time of hospitalization based on the premium paid.
- Lifetime renewal.
- Offers tax benefits under section 80D of the Income Tax act.
- Financial protection for medical costs like surgery costs, room rent, doctors’ consultation charges, emergency ambulance charges, and laboratory tests.
- Pre and post hospitalization expenses are covered under this insurance policy.
- Accidental cover from the first day of the policy.
- Provides coverage for daycare treatment.
- Age proof of each family member: documents like pan card, voter’s id, driving license, passport, school or college certificate, etc.
- Photo identity proof of each family member: Aadhaar card, pan card, driving license, passport, voter’s id, etc.
- Address proof: documents like ration card, telephone bill, electricity bill, passport, voter’s id, bank a/c statement, etc.
- Medical check-up: if the insurance company ask for it
- Passport size photograph
Some of the insurance companies have this concept of loyalty benefit under which they offer a discount on renewal of policy from the same company.
The health insurance premium is calculated based on the Sum Insured you have opted for and the age of the senior most person of the family. The premium will increase based on the age of slabs according to the premium chart. In the case of PSU companies such as National Insurance, The New India Assurance, The Oriental Insurance, and United India Insurance the premium can increase without a change in age slab if the person has taken claim in the last year. They charge loading on it and thus your premium will increase.